Tags: UISD 323 - Rock Creek
Rock Creek deals with personnel issues
Board member resigns
June 18, 2014Rock Creek will lose a board member, several assistant coaches and a class sponsor for the upcoming school year.
These, and other personnel issues, occupied the USD 323 Board at its June meeting on Wednesday.
Board member Sara Walker tendered her resignation to the other members. She was the Position #4 representative in the district. The board will address her replacement at a later date.
The board also accepted the resignation of Brad Hammett from his para and coaching positions; Darryn Young from his assistant wrestling position at the high school; and Ashley Wege as a class sponsor at the high school.
Andrew Trent was approved as an English teacher at the Junior High and several summer contracts were approved.
A new position was added. The board approved, 7-0, the job description for the district Assessment Coordinator's position. The goal of the job is to coordinate required district assessments and help with analysis of the results of any assessment. Approval was also given to changing Network Administrator job title to that of District Technology Director.
In other business:
• Consent was also given to changes in the Jr/Sr High handbook include adding a character education program with activities in both large and small group settings to advisor time as well as reward times for those who have completed everything in their classes. The rewards will be determined at a later date.
• The board received information from the State on enrollment studies. They will use registered live births as a predictor of future enrollment growth. In terms of the Rock Creek school district, if growth exceeds the existing buildings, the district feels there is plenty of room for additions at all schools. There is land that can be purchased around most buildings with existing room to the north of the Jr/Sr High.
• St. George Grade School roof work will begin next week and will take approximately a week per wing and cabinets will be installed in July. The brick has been finished on the 3/4 wing. The Jr/Sr High parking lot is scheduled to be repaved this week and prices are being obtained for backdrops, fencing, and dugouts for the softball field.
• The Jr/Sr High sent out a reminder that the school will pilot the "Fall Jump Start" program for students who would have attended summer school. For the first three weeks of school, and before they fall behind in classes, these students will be required to stay after school (Monday-Thursday) during the extended learning time. They will participate in subject area skill lessons and study skills preparation for the school year.
• Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher, Shelby Muha, received a $2,500 supplementary Perkins Grant to attend a national conference in Arizona.
• Congratulations were given to the Rock Creek baseball and track programs for participation in state competitions. Congratulations were also given to the forensics program for State 3A Runner-ups.
• There will be 29 students participating in Westmoreland Elementary summer school.