flag image

Reduced Price and Free School Meals are Available

August 06, 2014
The Kansas State Department of Education announces the participation of all Kansas school districts and many private schools in the National School Lunch and/or School Breakfast Program. Local school officials have adopted the following household income guidelines for determining eligibility for Child Nutrition Program benefits.


Household Size Free Benefits Reduced Price Benefits

1 $ 15,171 $21,590

2 20,449 29,101

3 25,727 36,612

4 31,005 44,123

5 36,283 51,634

6 41,561 59,145

7 46,839 66,656

8 52,117 74,167

For each additional household member add +5,278 +7,511

Application forms and an informational letter to households are available from the school district or private school. Additional copies are available at the principal's business office in each school. Applications may be submitted at any time during the year. An application for reduced price or free Child Nutrition Program benefits cannot be approved unless it contains complete eligibility information as indicated on the application and instructions.

Households receiving Food Assistance or Temporary Assistance to Families (TAF) will be notified that their children will be provided free benefits unless the household notifies the school that it chooses to decline benefits. Households receiving assistance under these programs should submit an application only if they are not notified of their eligibility by a specified date determined by the schools. If a household receiving Food Assistance, TAF, or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), completes an application, the children's names, the Food Assistance, TAF or FDPIR case number, and the signature of an adult household member must be provided.

Participants in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) may be eligible for reduced price or free benefits. Households with WIC participants should complete an application as described above.

Households with children who are enrolled in the Head Start/Even Start Program or the Migrant Education Program or who are considered homeless or runaway by the school district's homeless liaison should contact the school for assistance in receiving benefits.

Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a State child welfare agency or court, are eligible for free meals, regardless of income. The State must retain legal custody of a child. Households will be notified that the foster child(ren) will be provided free benefits unless the household notifies the school that it chooses to decline benefits. Free eligibility is NOT extended to other students in households with foster children, but households with a foster child(ren) can submit an application and list all household members including the foster child(ren). A foster family application could result in different eligibility for family members such as the foster child(ren) free and the other students could be reduced or free or not eligible for benefits.

Households not receiving Food Assistance, TAF, or FDPIR apply for benefits by completing one application for all children in the household. The application must list names of everyone in the household, the amount of income each household member now receives, source of income, the last four digits of the Social Security number of the household member who signs the application or a statement that the household member does not possess one, and the signature of an adult household member certifying that the information provided is correct. The information is confidential and will be used only for the purpose of determining eligibility. The eligibility status may be verified at any time during the school year by school or other program officials.

Under provisions of the reduced price and free benefit policy, the Determining Official will review applications and determine eligibility. Parents or guardians who are dissatisfied with the ruling of the official may wish to discuss the decision with the Determining Official on an informal basis. Parents wishing to make a formal appeal may make a request either orally or in writing for a hearing on the decision. Contact the school district or private school for the name, address and phone number of the Hearing Official and information about the hearing procedures.

If a household member becomes unemployed or if household size changes, the household should contact the school. Such changes may make the child(ren) in the household eligible for reduced price or free benefits if the household income falls at or below the levels shown above.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at program.intake@usda.gov. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Each school's office and/or the district's/organization's main office has a copy of the policy for reduced price and free benefits which may be reviewed by any interested party.


Tags: Kansas news

Comments ()
PK Mechanical
160x160 Murdock